<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, March 26, 2004

News 

I've been keeping an eye on the news, rumours of sugar taxes and fat taxes, of people suing companies because they have no personal self-control.

How will we deal with the possibility of people suing us because they became fat while eating too many sweets?

Do you think humor would deflect it some? "Wise" sayings posted in unexpected places that say things like: "Eat right. Exercise. Die anyway." or "All things in moderation." or other such things?

I'm going to browse the web and see if I can't find suitable food quotes, especially bakery-related ones, maybe cartoons, too. A few weeks ago the librarian gave us some Atkins Diet related cartoons. Maybe we can find other funny diet cartoons.

We've always been advocates of personal responsibility, we alone are responsible for what we choose to buy, eat, wear, drink, drive, and so on. To place the blame for being overweight on vendors of food is an abdication of personal responsibility. It's saying "I cannot control myself, therefore I demand you control me for my own good. If you don't control me and force me to be good, eat right, and live a long, healthy, safe life, then I will sue any and everybody I can so I can at least die rich."

What's with that?

When did people stop taking responsibility for their own actions? Why do they feel businesses owe them because they chose to eat too much, drink too much, and forego exercising? Why do they think a purveyor of sweets is responsible for their extra 100 pounds of body fat? Did that sweetshop force them to buy the candy, ripping dollars out of their wallets and filling their helpless mouths with Gobstoppers and Sugar Blasters?

Our bakery will be selling food that is high in calories and pleasing to the eye as well as the tongue.

Are we going to drag people off the streets and force them to not only buy Lemon Spice Cakes with Creme Fraiche and strawberries, and a triple Cinnamon Leche Latte, but consume it on the spot, and then buy an extra for the road?

Nope. We expect our customers to know what their diets are - because we certainly won't know what restrictions they've placed on themselves, or had placed on due to health problems or allergies, and what they can and cannot eat.

Our delicacies will be labeled with nutritional data so they can choose wisely. If they have a peanut allergy, for example, we will label what foods contain peanuts. If they choose to buy a goodie with peanuts in it, it will not be because we forced it on them, but because they chose to buy it.

They can choose to splurge on that luscious Blueberry Fudge Fairy Cheesecake, or select the equally yummy Blueberry Gallette with a dollop of non-dairy fat-free sour cream.

I'll never eat the non-dairy fat-free anything, but that's my choice, and if I carry a few extra pounds for it, that's my choice.

We should be free to sell delicious, quality baked goodies without the fear of being sued because a customer is carrying a few pounds more than they want.

Yes, I know diet and exercise are not totally effective in weight loss. Believe me, I know. If you're interested in reading some good, solid data on weight loss, what works and what doesn't, and possibilities that may help, try Adiposity 101. There's some good information there. They even explore the theory that dieting itself may cause excessive weight gain.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?